A few states treat birth certificates as public records. But most states require some ID to get a copy of your birth certificate.

If you have little or no ID, the best approach is usually to ask a parent, spouse, child, or other relative with standard ID to apply on your behalf, ideally before your release from prison.

Some states accept Department of Corrections discharge papers as ID to obtain a birth certificate, either by policy or by informal practice. You should call ahead to confirm whether the office will accept your DOC discharge papers as ID.

Procedures for getting your birth certificate vary from state to state; if you don’t have standard ID, your success in getting a copy of your birth certificate may depend on the mood of the staffer you talk to that day. Help from a case manager, mentor or discharge planner may improve your chance of success.

Bring your DOC discharge papers and any other ID you have.

Bring $20.00 in cash, or a money order made out to “Vital Statistics.”


What to do if you don’t have the right kind of ID: If you don’t have any ID, a family member who has photo ID can request a copy of your birth certificate by going to the Vital Statistics Office. Your parents will only need a photo ID. Your spouse will need a photo ID and (if you weren’t married in New London) a copy of your marriage license. Your children will need a photo ID and (if they weren’t born in New London) a copy of their own birth certificate. Your grandparents will need a photo ID and (if your parent wasn’t born in New London) a copy of your parent’s birth certificate (mother or father, whichever is their child).

How long it will take to receive a copy: It depends on the line, but probably around 15 minutes.


Did you leave your Identification with the DOC?

Call the Identification Recovery Specialist at…. (860) 692-7564

Connecticut Dept. of Motor Vehicles (Winsted Branch):

151 Torrington Rd. Torrington CT 06098

Hours: Tuesday: 7:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

            Wednesday: Closed

Thursday: 9:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

            Friday: 7:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 

            Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Phone: 860-263-5700

General Phone: 860-263-5700 (in Hartford area or outside CT) Alternate Phone: 1-800-842-8222 (Elsewhere in Connecticut) 


Cost: $22.50. The fee is waived if you live in a homeless shelter, transitional housing, or other facility for homeless persons.

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues a Non-Driver Photo Identification Card to Connecticut residents who do not possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license or whose license is suspended. The ID card lasts five to seven years. Apply at any full-service DMV branch office or the Winsted Satellite office.

Application requirements: You must bring the following:

Certified Birth Certificate or valid Passport (not copies). Non-U.S. citizens must bring proof of legal status.

One additional form of valid state-issued ID (see below).

Proof of Connecticut residence (such as a utility bill, mortgage document, or a lease or rental agreement).

Completed CT Identification Card Requirements and Application (form B-230). To request the form, call 860- 263-5700 (in Hartford area or outside CT) or 1-800-842- 8222 (elsewhere in Connecticut). Or request it online at

$22.50 fee. The fee is waived if you can show that you reside in a Connecticut shelter. An official from the shelter must sign your application form.

ID needed: In addition to your certified birth certificate or passport, you must provide one original ID from this list:

Valid U.S. / Territory or Canadian photo driver license

Valid out-of-state or Canadian photo learner permit

CT non-driver ID card if issued on or after Oct. 1, 2001

CT learner permit if issued on or after Aug. 1, 2008

Social Security card (no laminated or metal cards)

CT Dept. of Corrections original certificate of ID

Military ID or dependent card with photograph

Connecticut pistol or firearm permit

Military discharge/separation papers (DD-214)

Court Order (such as name change, marriage certificate or dissolution): Must be original or certified copy and contain full name and date of birth.

Marriage license (certified copy only)

Pilot’s license (issued by the FAA)

School record/transcript (must be certified)

Connecticut State Department of Social Services (DSS) issued photo public assistance card

Baptismal certificate or similar document

State or Federal Government Employee ID with signature and photograph and/or physical description